2019 PENNSYLVANIA JUNIOR WRESTLING CHAMPIONSHIPS
JR. HIGH & YOUTH DIVISION
Area II Section 3 Qualifier Information Sheet
DATE: Sunday, February 17, 2019 Wrestling Starts at: 9:00 AM
SITE: Richland H.S., 1 Academic Avenue, Johnstown, PA 15904
WEIGH~INS & REGISTRATION: Thursday, February 14, 2019……..6:00 – 7:30 PM
SITE: Richland H.S. Gymnasium…….Seeding meeting to follow weigh ins.
Wrestlers will choose their weight class the day of weigh~ins. Please bring signed application and entry fee to weigh~ins. Only wrestlers will be permitted in the locker room for weigh~ins. There will be no entries accepted or weight class changes after weigh~ins have ended. There will be no exceptions to this rule.
Registration may also be done online through Wrestle Reg. The link is available on the Area II website. There will be a $2.00 fee for online registration. Wrestlers will still need to bring a signed application and will choose their weight at weigh~ins.
AGE EFFECTIVE DATE: December 31, 2018
ADVANCEMENT: Jr. High – The top 2 wrestlers at each weight advance to the Area II Tournament on Feb. 24, 2019 at the Philipsburg~Osceola H.S. The top 3 wrestlers at the Area II Tournament advance to the PJW Jr. High State Championships at the Cambria County War Memorial Arena in Johnstown on March 2 & 3, 2019.
8 & Under and 9~10 – The top 2 wrestlers at each weight advance to the Area II Tournament on March 10, 2019, at the Philipsburg~Osceola H.S. The top 2 wrestlers at each weight at the Area II tournament advance to the PJW Youth State Championships at the Peterson Events Center in Pittsburgh, PA on March 16 & 17, 2019.
11~12 – The top 2 wrestlers at each weight advance to the Area II Tournament on March 10, 2019, at the Philipsburg~Osceola H.S. The top 2 wrestlers at each weight at the Area II Tournament advance to the PJW Youth State Championships at Peterson Events Center in Pittsburgh, PA on March 16 & 17, 2019.
ENTRY FEE: $25.00 ~ ALL CHECKS PAYABLE TO: Richland Wrestling Booster Club…..Please bring entry fee, if registering at weigh~ins, and signed application to weigh~ins. Application, rules and waiver form MUST be read and signed.
TOURNAMENT DIRECTOR: Todd Cunningham ~~ Phone: (724) 422~1725
1. Entry fee covers entry requirements and insurance. Fee is $25.00
2. A wrestlers age group classification is determined by his/her age on December 31, 2018. EXAMPLE: A wrestler’s 11th birthday is 1/1/2019. That wrestler competes in the 10 & Under division.
3. PIAA rules will govern all matches, except as modified by PJW. Headgear is required in all PJW Tournaments
4. All Youth Division bouts will consist of three periods of 2 ~ 1 ~ 1, overtime 1 ~ :30 if needed….
Jr. High bouts will consist of three periods of 1:30 each and the Jr. High overtime rules will apply.
5. The PIAA shoelace rule will be enforced. Please be prepared to secure or tape shoelaces.
6. The hair rule for the PJW will be enforced as defined in the National Federation Rules Book and adopted by the PIAA.
7. Participants must weigh in at the weight class they have entered. Entrants not making weight will be scratched.
8. A wrestler may not wrestle outside his/her age group, and may enter in one weight class only. However, a wrestler exceeding the limit for the last weight class in the 8&U and 9~10 age groups may enter the appropriate weight class in the next higher age group. All participants in the Jr. High division must be eligible to compete for a Jr. High team under PIAA rules for the current year. However, a wrestler who is not eligible for the 11~12 age group, and not yet enrolled in Junior High (7th grade level), may enter the Junior High division.
9. Copies of birth certificates will be required of all Area finalists at the Area Tournament, and for all wrestlers competing in the State Championship Tournament.
10.The source of rules governing this tournament will be the PIAA Rules Book, the Pennsylvania Junior Wrestling Rules Booklet, and the Area Rules that apply to the operation of the qualifying tournament.
11.Only fulltime residents of Pennsylvania may enter the Pennsylvania Junior Wrestling tournaments.
12.Each entrant/guardian must complete and sign the Release and Waiver of Liability Agreement Participant Code of Conduct that is part of the PJW Entry Form. Contestants are expected to demonstrate good sportsmanship on and off the mat. Unsportsmanlike conduct can result in deduction of match points, disqualification from the tournament, and/or removal from the premises. PJW disciplinary action may follow. Contestants are expected to refrain from damaging or defacing any part of the host buildings or grounds. Such action will result in eviction from the premises and/or prosecution. PJWC disciplinary action may follow. Contestants are representing PJW while staying in the host community; therefore, any misbehavior in the host community may result in prosecution and subsequent PJWC disciplinary action. PJW, following the established Due Process, may vote to withdraw honors earned, and/or suspend the contestant from future PJW participation.